This FAQ was made to answer the biggest questions regarding our "report a post" function. Give it a read. Live it, learn it, love it.
1) What is the "report this post" function?
The "report this post" function is a way for every poster to contact the board moderators and administrators and let them know of any problem posts or users.
2) Why report a post?
Although the moderators try to read every thread, some posts just slip through the cracks. Unfortunately, moderators cannot be everywhere at once. The "report a post" function is used to send a red flag up to moderators to make the message board experience more positive for all users.
3) How do I report a post?
Next to every post there is an icon that looks like this:
Click the icon and you'll be taken to another menu.
4) I've clicked the icon. What do I do now?
In the text box, simply write the reason you are reporting the post and click "send report."
5) What do the moderators see when I report a post?
Each moderator gets an e-mail that provides a link to the thread and the reported post. On that email is also a full report of who sent the report, when the report was sent, and the exact reason the poster gave for reporting the post. This is why it is important to be specific when reporting because we don't see the post until we click on the link.
6) If the reason is obvious, do I just put "obvious"?
No, please don't do this. It makes it harder for the moderators because sometimes it isn't as obvious as the poster would like to think, and also it makes it harder later when the poster emails Sonia about the thread/post.
7) How specific should I be?
Put it this way: You can't be too specific. The more specific, the better.
8) What should I report?
Please only report posts that are rude to other posters and/or AFI, anything that breaks the guidelines (e.g. talking about band members' personal lives or fan fiction), spam, harassment, etc.
9) What should I not report?
Please do not report threads in wrong forums, double posts/threads, or requests to close others' threads.
10) Will I be reprimanded for reporting posts?
You will not be in trouble for reporting others' posts in a thread you started. If you don't want your thread ruined, then this function may be useful.
Use it appropriately and you will have no problems. It is very rare that we suspend people for misusing the function, so don't be afraid to use it.
However, there are a few no-nos when reporting posts:
Do not start a fight and then report the other person. You could be punished as well. Also, don't report the person and then continue a fight.
Do not follow a person from thread to thread or have your buddies gang up and report a person.
Do not report a post and then flaunt that you have reported the post. Also, do not report a post and then post in that thread in response to what the user posted. This is very annoying especially, when one follows it with "bye bye," "closed," etc. This is called backseat moderating. Don't do it.
Do not, in any other way, misuse this function. This means no filling out fake forms or being disrespectful through the function.
Yes, it is possible to receive a suspension through misusing the "report a post" function.
11) I reported a post and nothing happened. Do I report it again?
Please press "send report" only once. Remember that these reports go straight to our e-mail inboxes.
If nothing has happened to the post you have reported, one of two things may have happened:
1 - no moderator has read the report yet
2 - no action was decided appropriate
12) Should I send a private message or an email to a mod to report a post?
Read this thread.
13) I want to report several posts by a user in a thread. How do I do this? Do I report once for each post?
If someone is being inappropriate throughout a thread, it is much easier for all of us to just report one post and explain that the person has multiple offending posts. For example, if a user is being rude to multiple board members in different posts, a message like this will work: "This user has insulted many people and has been very rude throughout this thread, not just this post."
- What to report: rudeness to other users or AFI, spam, inappropriate pictures or anything else clearly breaking guidelines, harassment of any kind, anything especially problematic
- What not to report: double posts, threads in wrong forum, anything more than once, responses to fights you picked, anything that might be deemed harassment from your side
- What to do after you report: wait! Patience is a virtue.
- What not to do after: continue to fight, respond to and/or quote that post, anything that might make it seem like you're a mod such as "321...closed," "bye bye," "see ya," "closed," etc. Also, do not ask where the mods are. This is extremely rude.
- CLICK "SEND REPORT" ONLY ONCE!
- You only have to report one post per thread.
- The more specific, the better.
- Never personally contact mods for board problems!
- Be respectful towards others and you won't have to worry about people reporting you!